||The vineyard is located in Treiso, between Barbaresco and Alba. Exposure: south/west.
||The vintage 2011 begun with some snowfalls in the first two months of the year, followed by heavy rainfall in March, an average for the month of 176 mm/6.9 inches, compared to approx. 90 mm/3.55 inches in 2010. This provided a good early supply of water in the soil. April was quite warm, with temperatures over 20°C that pushed the start of the growth season forward. Begin of summer was colder than usual with a few of heavy thunderstorms; highest temperatures, in line with the season, arrived late around the second half of August, up to 35°C (90°F) and above. This was not a problem for the vines, also because of the large water reserves in the soils from late spring and early summer rainfall, but it had repercussions on the quantity of the grapes approaching veraison. For the varieties with a longer vegetative cycle, as Barbera and Nebbiolo, the rainfalls during the first week of September, together with the lowering of night-time temperatures, allowed for the reaching of excellent balance in the phenolic components of the grapes, facilitating their ripening and resulting in good balance.
||Harvest begun on 10th October.
||The fermentation and the maceration on the skins normally takes about 22-24 days. No selected yeasts are used. The malolactic fermentation happens naturally in French barrels coopered expressively for us by Francois Frères in Burgundy. The wine stays in these barrels for approximately 18-20 months, half of this time on its lees. 25% of the barrels used for aging this wine are new, the remaining 75% have previously been used up to 4 times. There is no filtering and no fining prior to bottling.
||Price Sottimano Barbaresco Pajorè 2014 HK$ 490.00