Château Fonroque Saint-Emilion is the cradle of the Moueix family, acquired in 1931 by John and Adele, great grandparents of Alain Moueix, owner of this beautiful vineyard.
Second son of a family of small farmers Haute Corrèze, Jean Moueix "monte" in Paris in 1920, where he opened successively with his wife Adele, a then several shops dairy products. A few years later, they bought Château Fonroque where they settled permanently. The following decades seal the attachment of Jean and Adèle Moueix, and their eldest son Jean-Antoine, land of Fonroque. In the most ancient records, Fonroque has always been operating in wine vocation.
The death of Jean-Antoine in 1979, the management of the domain is entrusted to Etablissements Jean-Pierre Moueix (trading house Libourne and family).
The vineyard maintenance is then done on the basis of regular replanting program with drains. The use of the practice of thinning grapes, especially in young vines is systematically applied.
The vat, the introduction of a meticulous management of drums and assemblies rigor are important qualitative contributions. A financial investment will be realized in 1993 when a second barrel cellar, a bottling room and a tasting room are emerging.
Winemaking, sitting on a vineyard management that takes into account the fundamental balances, gives rise to quality wines.
Alain Moueix is entrusted with the management of the family property in 2001. Each generation brings its footprint, it is no exception to the tradition.
Château Fonroque pictures